Personal income tax return form AY 2019: several new features explained

From now on, also 'high' fixed cost deductions for self-employed and other changes 

The new personal income tax return form for assessment year 2019 was published on 7 April, the starting shot for the annual tax return race. For the Flemish tax return, "only" 6 codes have been added, and for the Walloon and Brussels tax returns, "only" 7 codes each. However, don't celebrate too soon, because there are a lot of new measures that will come into play as of this year. Fortunately, with the scrapping of 'old' codes, the increase in the number of new codes is limited. Below is an overview of the most important new codes/changes. 

Additional tax reductions 
In 2018, the federal government introduced a number of new tax reductions, most of which therefore received a new code. 

Pension agreement for self-employed persons 'POZ'  (code 1342/2342)
Since 2018, in addition to the existing private supplementary pension for the self-employed (Vrij Aanvullend Pensioen voor Zelfstandigen), self-employed persons can also build up additional pension savings through the pension agreement for self-employed persons (POZ). However, not all self-employed people can do this, only self-employed people not in a company (self-employed people with profit or with income and assisting spouses) are eligible in this respect. In order to limit the increase in new codes, it was decided to include this under 1 code with the tax reductions. 
In this code, self-employed people need to include the amount paid for their new POZ, which entitles them to a tax reduction of 30%. At the end of their career, self-employed people pay 10% tax on their POZ capital. 

Shares in growth companies (code 1334/2334)
In 2015, a tax reduction was introduced for investments in shares of starting SMEs ("tax shelter") and since last year it has also been possible to invest in so-called "growth companies", in a tax-efficient way, if these companies issue new shares as a result of a capital increase. An SME is a starter for the first four years after its incorporation, and for the subsequent six years it will be a 'grower'. In addition, growth companies are required to increase their workforce or annual turnover by at least 10% per annum on average over the previous two years. The investment (for start-ups and growth companies combined) is fiscally capped at €100,000 per year and per person. Investing in a growth company gives the right to a 25% tax reduction, i.e. a maximum of €25,000 tax advantage (provided that a given amount in taxes is paid, at the normal progressive tax rate). The tax return must include the amount of the investment, and the tax authorities will then calculate the tax reduction. 

Privak-pricaf losses (code 1329/2329)
This code will be used exceptionally if a loss or depreciation is incurred in the event of the complete liquidation of a privak-pricaf set up after 2017. This loss can be deducted up to a maximum of €25,000, and 25% of it can be recovered.  

Adoption costs (code 1341)
In the year that an adoption procedure was terminated (completed or terminated prematurely), a tax reduction of 20% can be claimed for adoption expenses incurred since 1 January 2013. This relates to costs incurred in connection with the eligibility procedure, paid to the recognised adoption service, administrative expenses, travel expenses to and from the country of origin of the adopted child, and subsistence expenses in that country. 
The tax reduction is limited to €6,150. The calculation of the tax reduction must be made by the taxpayer and the result must be included in code 1341

New tax exemption for dividends (code 1437/2437) 
This exemption, introduced to activate the savings of Belgians, is limited to the first tranche of €640 on share dividends. This exemption is not applied at source and must therefore be claimed via the personal income tax return. The withholding tax which was unduly withheld on this first tranche must be included in these codes. Since there is no standard tax certificate to support the exemption, the documents and bank statements relating to the payment of the dividends and the withholding tax withheld must be kept up to date so that they can be presented in the event of an inspection. 

New notification requirements (code 1072/2072) ​
The first new notification requirement is that, in codes 1072/2072, you need to notify if you were the holder of more than one securities account during the course of 2018. This notification requirement has been introduced as a result of the new tax on securities accounts with an average value of €500,000 or more. If you have several securities accounts with a lower amount, you need to make a return for this tax on your own initiative. Such notification will enable the tax authorities to carry out more targeted checks in this area. 

The second notification requirement, which applies to more people compared to last year, concerns foreign bank accounts. Individuals who are managers of the foreign bank accounts of a de facto association, must now also report this in their tax return (and also include the taxable movable income obtained on those accounts in their tax return). 

Untaxed additional income (code 1460 and 2460) 
Although at first sight it may seem contradictory to include income within the framework of the system of "untaxed additional income" in the tax return, this is only required if the monthly limit (€510.83) or the annual limit (€6,130) for untaxed additional income is exceeded. If that is the case, professional or miscellaneous income taxes come into play. 

New fixed costs for self-employed people making profit 
From 2018, 'self-employed people making profit' (trade, industry, agriculture, etc.), who declare their professional income in box XVIII, can enjoy the same statutory fixed costs as employees. The fixed amount is 30% of income, with a maximum of €4,720 for 2018. For self-employed persons in their secondary occupation with limited professional costs, this can be an attractive alternative to proving their actual professional costs. 

Given that the fixed costs are calculated automatically by the tax authorities, the items that are first deducted from the gross profit (social security contributions, goods sold and raw materials) for the application of the fixed amount must be known. For the social security contributions, that is via the introduction of the new codes 1632 and 2632, but there is no new heading for the deduction item 'goods sold and raw materials'. This is solved by explicitly stating in the official explanatory note to the tax return that the gross profit to be declared is the amount AFTER deduction of the purchase price of goods sold and raw materials (which in most cases corresponds to the gross margin). This purchase price is therefore not part of the professional costs in the tax return; it is simply not a part of the gross profit to be declared. 

The further course of the relationship between the UK, the EU and the EEA
What impact will Brexit have on your corporate income tax?
For the time being, the United Kingdom (UK) is still part of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). The UK has since been given until 31 October 2019 at the latest to implement Brexit. This means that cross-border transactions with the UK continue to fall within the scope of EU directives. However, after Brexit, the UK will no longer be able to rely on these directives. This
Less strict circular for catering sector
New circular regarding the VAT rate for restaurant and catering services
On 1 January 2010, the VAT rate for restaurant and catering services was reduced to 12%. This rate only applies to food. Drinks (including non-alcoholic beverages and coffee and tea) are still subject to the standard VAT rate of 21%. On 23 December 2009, the administration published an explanatory note in which it detailed how an overall price for a menu (including drinks) needed to
Does the new definition of a company have any consequences for your organisation?
Broader requirements for registration with the CBE - clarification for unincorporated companies
In a previous article, we explained that the introduction of a definition of 'company' in the new Companies and Associations Code (CAC) also affects the registration with the CBE (Crossroads Bank for Enterprises). In this article, we will discuss in more detail the registration obligation for unincorporated companies.  Consequences of the broader definition of a company  With the new
Noticeable impact on tax matters
Impact of Brexit on registration and inheritance tax
The tension in the United Kingdom is palpable. In the meantime, the initial date of Brexit, 29 March 2019, has been delayed. Depending on whether an agreement will be reached or not on 29 March, UK's departure date will be moved to 12 April 2019 in case of a hard Brexit (no deal) and to 22 May 2019 in case of a soft Brexit (deal). It is clear that Brexit will have an impact on tax matters, bo
An easing-up for most SMEs
New interest deduction restriction mostly offers opportunities
As part of the reforms to corporation tax in late 2017, a new interest deduction restriction was also introduced. This is part of the second phase of the reform, meaning that it applies in principle to financial years starting on or after 1 January 2019 (assessment year 2020). The new interest deduction restriction was introduced in the transposition of the European Anti-Tax Avoidance Directive (A
Some important dates highlighted
The new Companies and Associations Code
The new company and association law had already been announced for some time, and it was approved by the Chamber on 28 February 2019. Below we give a brief explanation of some of the important dates associated with the entry into force of this new legislation.   Introduction of the new legislation  The law introducing the Companies' Code enters into force on 1 May 2019 and repea
The new rules for VAT processing of vouchers
The wonderful world of VAT and vouchers
Vouchers are a very popular marketing tool. There are various types of vouchers: discount vouchers issued by a manufacturer, redeemable at any sales outlet in Belgium, discount coupons issued free of charge by retailers, vouchers where you can get a newly launched article free of charge, gift vouchers that can be redeemed for a whole range of products or services, electronic vouchers, etc. Are yo
A showpiece, or rather a sticking plaster for a broken arm?
The Belgian fiscal consolidation regime
The general intention with the introduction of a fiscal consolidation regime was clear, namely to put the Belgian tax system back in a positive light. After all, many of our neighbouring countries have had a system of fiscal consolidation in place for many years, and Belgium consequently scored badly on this point when international groups were looking to choose an investment location. The ques
The long-term lease revival
Superficies as stealth usufruct?
A noteworthy judgement was recently handed down by the Court of Appeal of Brussels regarding the taxation of overly cheap accession in the case of superficies (23 January 2019). In the past, a number of rulings had already been made on this subject (see, inter alia, Court in Ghent of 31 October 2017). The tax authorities are clearly keen to see the end of the right of superficies, and the two judg
'Paulian claim' to the rescue
Thwarting the taxman by rejecting an inheritance: is it possible?
In inheritance law, multiple heirs can have a statutory inheritance claim. As such, they are entitled to a minimum share of the inheritance. Since the new inheritance law, it is possible to freely dispose of half of one's assets. This is called the available part. If the available part is exceeded by donations, the statutory heirs may request the reduction. Through the reduction, the statutory hei

Subscribe to our newsletter