More entrepreneurs must register with the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises (CBE)

Under the aim of creating a more attractive business climate, changes were made to the existing company law. In that context, the legislator has done away with the ‘trader’ concept, replacing it with the umbrella term ‘enterprise. Besides forming the basis for the rules of the Code of Economic Law, the Judicial Code and the Civil Code, the new enterprise concept also has consequences for registration with the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises (CBE).

The requirement to register with the CBE gets a broader scope
Based on economic law, who must register with the CBE as from 1 November 2018?

  • every legal entity under Belgian law
  • every other (for profit) organisation without legal personality under Belgian law
  • every entrepreneur/company (natural person, legal entity or organisation without legal personality) who has their registered office, a branch or a business unit in Belgium.

The business counter will register these companies in their capacity as an ‘enterprise subject to registration’.1

In the past, businesses without legal personality (such as temporary companies or partnerships) and non-profit associations could escape the registration requirement, for instance because they were not required to have a VAT number or weren’t registered with the Social Security Office as an employer. From now on that is no longer possible. However, the legislator did provide a few exceptions to the registration requirement.

Registration is not required for:

  • partners with unlimited liability in a company without legal personality (e.g. the partners of a partnership), the managing partners of a general partnership (VOF: Vennootschap Onder Firma) or a limited partnership (CV: Commanditaire Vennootschap);
  • industry associations;
  • legal persons under public law (with some exceptions);
  • natural persons who hold a management position;
  • natural persons who are active in the sharing economy, insofar as their salary does not exceed the EUR 5,210 (indexed) threshold.

Does this mean that actual associations (tennis clubs, golf clubs etc., organised as actual associations) must register with the CBE, as they are businesses without legal personality? No, actual associations (any association without legal personality according to the Belgian Companies Code) are not required to register with the CBE because in principle, they do not have a profit motive. Note: if they do, or if they award hidden material gains to their members or decision-makers, they must indeed register.  

The registration fee
Up to 31 October 2018, initial registration was free for non-commercial companies (liberal professions, agriculture and horticulture, etc.). However, following the company law reforms, the distinction between trade and non-trade businesses disappears – they all become businesses required to register. This also means the end of different treatment in terms of registration fees. Therefore, as from 1 November 2018, each and every person or company, hence also liberal professions, etc., will pay a registration fee of EUR 87. On Friday 26 October 2018, we were informed that the umbrella Royal Decree concerning the invoicing will not be ready on time.

This means that for the time being, new businesses required to register (partnerships etc.) do not have to pay for registering with the CBE.

[1]A distinction is made between registered entities, i.e. entities whose details are kept in the CBE, and enterprises subject to registration, i.e. companies which have to register with the CBE through a business counter. The list of registered entities is much broader than the enterprises subject to registration.

7 consequences of incomplete registration
The importance of correct registration in the crossroads bank for enterprises in 2019
Each company has its unique registration in the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises (CBE). However, businesses often forget to keep this registration up to date. This may have unpleasant consequences. The CBE is a register managed by the Federal Public Service Economy in which all basic information about companies and their establishments is kept. The CBE centralises the basic information about com
Are they 50% or 100% deductible?
Reception costs of a publicity event are only deductible in part
According to the letter of the law (art. 53, 8° of the Income Tax Code (WIB), reception costs incurred during a business related event are only 50% deductible. For some time already, there have been ongoing discussions concerning the question whether or not this limited deductibility likewise applies when the reception costs are incurred within the context of a publicity event.  And do these
Not as obvious as many people think
Restructuring? Think about your directorships
The restructuring of a company involves many aspects. An element that is often forgotten is the directorship positions held by the acquired company in a number of other companies. The question is what will happen with these directorships once the company holding them disappears as a result of a merger or division. In many cases, the intention is that these directorships will continue uninterrupted
This year it will be more likely that people will need to respond
Simplified declaration proposal? Check it thoroughly and respond in good time!
The number of simplified declaration proposals has been on the rise for several years now. This year, more than 3.2 million Belgians will receive such a proposal. If nothing needs to be changed, you do not need to respond either. However, if something does need to change (i.e. the Tax Authorities hold incorrect or incomplete data), then you must respond in good time. This year,
Also companies are required to follow the procedure
Conflicts of interest in the new Companies and Associations Code
The new Companies and Associations Code (CAC) entered into force on 1 May 2019. The CAC provides for broader and stricter regulations concerning conflicts of interest that may arise within an organisation. Broadening the scope of regulation means that the directors of cooperative companies, non-profit organisations (ASBL/VZW) and foundations&n
Important things you have to know
Some do’s and don’ts when making a bank donation
The bank donation is still a very popular way of donating money by bank transfer. This is not surprising: if it is carried out according to the rules of the game, the bank donation is a valid donation, without (too much) red tape and without incurring gift tax. However, there are a few rules that threaten to spoil the game if they are not followed correctly. Hence some tips that you should keep in
The further course of the relationship between the UK, the EU and the EEA
What impact will Brexit have on your corporate income tax?
For the time being, the United Kingdom (UK) is still part of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). The UK has since been given until 31 October 2019 at the latest to implement Brexit. This means that cross-border transactions with the UK continue to fall within the scope of EU directives. However, after Brexit, the UK will no longer be able to rely on these directives. This
Less strict circular for catering sector
New circular regarding the VAT rate for restaurant and catering services
On 1 January 2010, the VAT rate for restaurant and catering services was reduced to 12%. This rate only applies to food. Drinks (including non-alcoholic beverages and coffee and tea) are still subject to the standard VAT rate of 21%. On 23 December 2009, the administration published an explanatory note in which it detailed how an overall price for a menu (including drinks) needed to
From now on, also 'high' fixed cost deductions for self-employed persons
Personal income tax return form AY 2019: several new features explained
From now on, also 'high' fixed cost deductions for self-employed and other changes  The new personal income tax return form for assessment year 2019 was published on 7 April, the starting shot for the annual tax return race. For the Flemish tax return, "only" 6 codes have been added, and for the Walloon and Brussels tax returns, "only"
Does the new definition of a company have any consequences for your organisation?
Broader requirements for registration with the CBE - clarification for unincorporated companies
In a previous article, we explained that the introduction of a definition of 'company' in the new Companies and Associations Code (CAC) also affects the registration with the CBE (Crossroads Bank for Enterprises). In this article, we will discuss in more detail the registration obligation for unincorporated companies.  Consequences of the broader definition of a company  With the new

Subscribe to our newsletter